Taxes, insurances and finance

When working in the Netherlands, you will need to deal with tax, insurance and financial issues.


A brief explanation of the Dutch tax system can be found on the website of EurAxess the Netherlands.


If you are in paid employment with a Dutch employer, you must have basic health insurance. On the website EurAxess the Netherlands you will find more information about the Dutch healthcare system.

If you receive a scholarship, your personal situation will determine whether you can join the Dutch social security system and if you need to have basic health insurance.

If you do not qualify for the Dutch social security system and thus cannot apply for Dutch basic health insurance, you will need to find another solution to make sure you have adequate insurance whilst staying in the Netherlands. Several private insurance companies sell policies designed especially for students and researchers coming to the Netherlands.

The immigration experts of Expat Center Food Valley can arrange insurances for you (and your family members) with one of these companies. Please contact us for more information.


When you are employed in the Netherlands, or when you receive a scholarship and will stay for a longer period, you might consider opening a bank account in the Netherlands. In Wageningen, you will find several banks that will gladly assist you in opening an account.

When you want to open a bank account, you must bring with you:

  • Your passport with visa sticker.
  • Your invitation letter of your host organisation, or your employment contract.
  • Your rental or sub-rental contract.
  • Your BSN number.

Your bank account and bank card will be available within a few days after application at the bank.

Home » Expats » Taxes, insurances and finance